The Personal Care Attendant Program (PCAP) assists severely disabled individuals who may be at risk of institutionalization without this provision. The goal of PCAP is to allow these individuals to remain in their homes and local communities. A personal care attendant is employed by the disabled individual themselves. The disabled individual supervises and advises their personal care attendant. Counties served include: Allen, Barren, Butler, Edmonson, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, Simpson and Warren.
- To qualify, a person must be severely physically disabled with a permanent or temporary recurring functional loss of two or more limbs.
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Must be able to manage the program, which includes but is not limited to; recruiting, hiring, supervising, and firing the attendant.
- Must meet income eligibility criteria.
- The physically disabled adult must be dependent on others to carry out one or more activities like feeding, transferring, toileting, dressing and bathing.
- Must need no less than fourteen (14) hours of attendant care per week or need an attendant at night.
- Must be living or capable of living in a non-institutional setting.
Referrals can be made by anyone. Once a referral is received, the PCAP Coordinator will call the person needing services and complete a prescreening for services eligibility. Persons are placed on a waiting list and prioritized by the greatest need. As funding becomes available, each person must be assessed as eligible before services can begin.
PCAP Income Guidelines 2019
1 person household 24,980
2 person household 33,820
3 person household 42,660
4 person household 51,500
5 person household 60,340
6 person household 69,180
7 person household 78,020
8 person household 86,860
Physically disabled persons or referral sources may apply directly to the Barren River Area Agency on Aging and Disability Resource Center at 270-782-9223 or 1-800-395-7654 for referral and assistance.